Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sick

As a new parent you worry so much about if the baby gets sick, you read books, magazines, newspaper articles, etc. so you can be prepared if that moment comes. However, you tend to neglect what to do if you, the parent, gets sick.

Yes, I am talking from experience. I caught a bit of a bug on Friday night and made several trips to the restroom to revisit what I had for dinner (I will not be eating corn chowder again, for quite some time). Once I was even in the middle of breastfeeding when the urge hit. Yuck!

First of all, this is no way to spend a Friday night. Second, I am thankful Nathaniel is too young to remember his mom puking while he was in the middle of eating. Third, what is a mom to do? I began freaking out about what I could take and I called an on-call nurse. It was an interrogation just to answer yes or no to the question "Can I take Pepto?" (for future reference, the answer was no - just take Tums).

So needless to say, I have a new appreciation for the moms who have survived any type of illness. We can't call in sick or ask for a substitute. Luckily this passed by the next morning, but is was not a bit of fun and wiped me out for the entire next day. So here is a shout out to all the moms who have "toughed it out" and held it together for their kids, even when they felt like they were falling apart!




Here's Nathaniel cheering me on

in my fight against the bad germs :)

No comments: