Friday, March 13, 2009

Doctors Visit

You know you have been to the doctor waaaaay too much when:

A. The front desk guy knows you by name
B. The nurse sees you and comments, "I think I had a dream about you guys last night"
C. Your doctor shares details about her fertility treatments with you
D. All of the above

Truthfully, any of these answers are acceptable. However, my experience today was D. All of the above.

I got a phone call from daycare saying, "Nathaniel is running fever and pulling at his ear". Funny, I REALLY thought it was teething this time - again. When will I learn??? I should have known something was up because he actually slept all night last night. That is unusual behavior for him lately. But to my credit, he did break the gum line with his second top tooth yesterday - so he is actually teething right now as well.

So.... I picked him up from daycare and headed directly to the doctor. They squeezed us in since no appointments were available. And as seen above, it was a funny experience today. Apparently there is so much junk (I will spare you the details) that the doctor could not even tell if the tube was in place. I will be making an appointment with our ENT soon. I love that everyone is so friendly at the doctors office, but if we are going to be known, I would rather it be at a bank, where I would be coming in frequently to make deposits, not the doctor's office with a sick kid. Oh well, this is our life and we love it.

However in the midst of all this I am truly thankful for all the wonderful people in my life. I have the BEST co-workers that have been super understanding with me taking time off with Nathaniel. I really could not ask for a greater support team (Thanks Betty, Gabby,Renee). I have an amazing daycare full of people who truly know and care about Nathaniel (Thanks Miss Nellie, Miss Thelma, Miss Audrey, Miss Tebertha and everyone else). This place has been such a God-send; they are all so friendly and caring. I love that they are so in tune with Nathaniel. Even though he was not fussy today, they knew he was not himself and called right away. And I am thankful for my doctor and her staff - of course, I would be MORE thankful if we could get rid of ear infections altoghter, but I am thankful for all they do - and that they make me laugh.

Finally, I am thankful that Nathaniel has such a great personality. It does make me feel guilty that I had no idea that he was not feeling well. I suppose when all you know in life is ear infection after ear infection, you just learn to live with it. If he was not such a trooper, this would be unbearable. But he is the most amazing kid. Ever. Even asleep (like he is now), he makes me smile. Really, how can you sleep like that?

1 comment:

GramAunt Peggy said...

Nathaniel,
Oh, no! Not another ear infection! I was hoping to find better news than that tonight--my first internet access since leaving Dallas. Hope that ear is much better by now!
I've been missing you and am looking forward to our next Fri. together. Tell Mom & Dad we will be home this week-end and I'll be ready to play with you on Friday, the 27th.
Love,
Gram-Aunt Peggy