Monday, November 9, 2009

18 Month Check Up

We had Nathaniel's 18 month check up today. It was a little rough, there are several vaccines, he also got a flu shot and the H1N1 shot. Additionally, we found out he has an ear infection (thankfully it has been a long time since I have written that, and apparently we caught it early). Overall, he is doing great.

Current stats are:
Height : 32 inches (50%)
Weight : 26 lbs 4 oz (56%)

He is doing all the age appropriate things, saying new words daily (his newest is being able to answer "Texas" when asked where he lives!), using fork and spoon fairly well (better with the spoon than fork), walks, runs, loves to push things around (including his parents from time to time), will follow commands, stacks blocks/legos, does simple puzzles, like to do shape sorting activities, LOVES animals.....is starting to throw real fits when he does not get his way or is not understood, and is beginning to tell us "no" (not loving that). And just this week he began pointing and saying "poo-poo" after he goes - it is amazing what excites parents, I am thrilled about this. Seriously. He is nowhere near potty-training age but I feel this is a good first step. Wooo hooo, Nathaniel! He is a pretty happy child in general and we are so, so, so blessed to be his parents.


There are so many little things I hope I will never forget (but probably will): like the way he sits with his ankles crossed, the way my heart melts when he runs to me wanting to be picked up, how he gives knuckles/dap upside down, pretends to talk on the phone (but holds it backwards), how he always wants to play "where is Nate?" when we put on his shirt, and how he loves to scare/be scared. He is such an amazing little guy. I am often overwhelmed at how very much I love him.

As Christians, you are brought up hearing about "unconditional love", yet can't fully wrap our minds around it. Now I understand it so much better. No matter how fussy he gets, how stubborn he is, or how cranky I am; my love for him never wavers. And he really cannot give much back in return. Yes, the occasional hug and unsolicited kisses are amazing, the smile when he sees me after being apart all day, those are wonderful; but he cannot provide financially, fix things around the house, provide emotional support, shoot - he spends the day making messes that I joyfully (well most of the time) clean up. I am happy to see him happy. How much greater is the Father's love for us? It is amazing to think about.

1 comment:

Helen said...

I am always amazed at the chronicle you have created for your family. Thanks so much doing this I am sorry we did not get to see Nate as a pirate. You are dead on about your feelings of unconditional love. It is amazing that our TRUE father feels the same about us.
Helen