Friday, June 26, 2009

Rockstar or patient?

Apparently we have been missing our pediatrician lately. You guessed it....junk began oozing out of Nathaniel's right ear so we headed to the clinic. When we arrived, there was a new girl sitting in the middle cubicle/desk area. She commented on how cute the baby was and Nate ate it up. She begins to sign us in and when I say our last name the guy in the cubicle to our right comes around and says "Is that little man Nate?" upon hearing this, the lady on her left jumps up, runs around clapping her hands and says "Well, it is my little Boo!". Nathaniel is 100% hamming it up for his admirers; he is laughing, waving, playing peek-a-boo with the staff....humm....no appearance of illness here.

The nurse calls us back, Nate knows the ritual and nicely sits on the scale (23.9 lbs now) and waits patiently for his temp to be taken. Before we know it our pedi appears. She politely greets us and Nathaniel goes directly to her and throws his hands in the air wanting to be picked up. Doctor laughs, picks him up and plays with him some. Then she asks what we are in for today. I reply the usual and I want her to peek at his toenails. I think a fungus is growing. She again laughs. We stip off his socks and shoes and she proclaims "a fungus is growing, I don't know what to do about this, I will be right back". She is gone for awhile. Apparently, topical creams do not typically work but he is too young for the orals. Great. One anomalie after the other with this kid!

Then she looks in his ears. Which he miracously let her do for about 1.5 seconds before the screaming and thrashing began. She says to me, I want you to take him back to the ENT. It looks like his left tube is about ready to fall out. Grrrrrrrrrrrreat. She then reviews his chart aloud to me. Jan tubes, Feb antibiotics, March ear drops and later antibiotics, April antibiotics, May 14 days of antibiotics, June drops and antibiotics. Then she looks at me and says "I think something is wrong". Really? Ya think? Don't get me wrong. I love my pedi. I really do. She is a doll, but to the mom who has been up most nights in the last 13 months, don't say "I think something is wrong". I want you not only to know what is wrong, I want you to fix it!!! All I could do is laugh. We now have a new ENT appt and may be going to derm soon if this fungus does not clear up with some natural stuff she suggested.

So off to the pharmacist we go. Now our pharmacist is probably the nicest guy ever. You want to invite him home for Sunday dinner with the family. Or maybe I just feel that way since we sometimes see him more than family. Who knows? Anyway, he had a new tech who also gushed over the OBVIOUS cuteness factor Nathaniel has and as she was carrying on and on, our pharmacist whips out his camera and takes a picture of Nate "to hang on his wall" he tells us. Humm....a wall of sick kids???? That does not sound like it will win any awards. Does it?

All in all, an interesting day. Nate got a whole lot of attention. Then he came home and crashed on the floor (I don't think he has ever done that before). Apparently he has difficulty managing his celebrity status (or maybe he really is ill - who knows?).

1 comment:

GramAunt Peggy said...

Syb, if it is any consolation, Nate loved our outdoor time yesterday a.m. and was terrific visiting his Granny. When we got home waiting for you, he was as happy as could be with banana and milk snack and doing the shape sorter ball and his favorite book and ball. He may have problems, but he's a happy, normal baby boy in every other way--and really, really loved. And a gift from God without a doubt.