Saturday, February 14, 2009

MRSA


Ear infections are finally under control, but now our little Nater-Bug has caught the superbug, MRSA (methicillin resistant staphyloccocus aureus), an antibiotic-resistant strain of the common staph bacteria. I cannot even begin to tell you how heartbroken we are over this. He is 9 and 1/2 months old and will be fighting this for the rest of his life. Any time he gets cut, there is a huge possibility that it may turn into a raging infection. This is contagious, so we will be taking extra measures to have you wash your hands any time you are around him if he has an active case. We are currently all being treated for this and will be MIA from society until his current wounds are controlled. This can lay dormant and hopefully will as soon as he finishes his current rounds of antibiotics.

I had no idea how crazy strong "parent guilt" can be. Ted and I have been playing the what if game all night.....what if we would have caught his ear infections earlier and Nathaniel did not have to be on so many antibiotics? What if we did not work in the healthcare field? What if Nater never gets to play sports? What if I cannot take him to daycare anymore? What if we washed our hands more? What if......? What if......? What if.....?
I know we have to stop that game but your mind just runs wild. I don't want him to be a bubble boy and I don't want to be the psycho, over-protective, lunatic mom that is terrified to let my kid do anything. What is done is done and we cannot change it. I am reminding myself that this is far from the worst thing that can happen to him and we are still so fortunate and blessed....yet is does not seem to stop my heart from hurting for him. You just want the absolute best for your kid...and I feel like we have let him down already. I do know the dust will settle on this and we will become more informed and better equipped to handle this....and, no, I do not really think he will not become the next bubble boy!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Syb, I'm sorry to hear about Nate's MRSA. I know how you feel about the guilt issue. I didn't see you guys at church Sunday but Steven talked about letting go of guilt and moving forward. It was a sermon I wish I'd heard when I thought it was my fault Landon had lost his eye! It seems as though we always forgive other people before we forgive ourselves. Please know we're praying for you guys and for Nathaniel. Let us know if we can do anything for you.