Friday, July 17, 2009

Purse, police and temporary insanity

OK, I know this is a blog about Nathaniel but....everyone is encouraging me to write about my experience yesterday so here it goes.....

It was a typical morning, I slept in a little longer than I should have so I was running a tad behind schedule. Usual morning routine...got everything ready and headed out to drop off Nathaniel at day care. I ran him inside, and when I returned to my car it would not start. We have a 2008 Nissan Altima that has a keyless entry and push button start. Since I drove to day care I had the key.... then it was gone. In a flash someone had stolen my purse, with my keys, etc. Ted had to come and rescue me (my hero) and I headed to work. I made phone calls to very rude people at the bank to cancel my check cards but I do not have all my numbers memorized so I had to go home and look up some info.

Well, since I did not have my keys I had to break into my own home. Now, to paint a thorough picture, I had on black pants and a black tank top with a shirt over my tank. It was about 100 degrees so I stripped off the over shirt and began crawling in a window to my home when an officer approached me and asked "What is going on here, ma'am?". Imagine my surprise. He insisted I show him a photo ID that would link me to the house before he took me in on breaking and entering charges.....I have no license, because my purse was stolen. He then asked that I call someone to confirm I am who I say I am....I have no phone, because my purse was stolen. I am getting more and more upset by the minute, but trying to keep it together.

He then looks at my mail. Ah, at last, if my name matches the mail he will let me in to get my passport to show him who I am. HOWEVER, he takes the mail and asks my name. I tell him my name. He then asks if I go by any other names. I tell him my maiden name. He again asks if I go by any other names....."um, no officer.". Funny he says, then asks if anyone else lives here. I mention my husband and son. He says my info does not match up.....WHAT?!?!? Well, my mother-in-law's mail comes to our address since she is hospitalized. Guess whose name was on the envelope in his hand? And guess who loses it.....that is right, I become a blubbering fool. The office took pity on the crazy lady and let me crawl into my window and get my passport. And yes, I am who I say I am. Although I also had to show him my marriage license since my passport is in my maiden name.

Then, I get inside to have a phone call from my bank that there is unusual activity and the thieves have already racked up some debt on my cards (this is only about an hour after they took it). I filed a police report and they lost all the info due to a computer glitch - it was one thing after another yesterday.....thankfully, today has been better and I have been able to see some humor in it all. I also got a new purse, wallet, and phone out of the deal so it can't be all that bad. Right???

2 comments:

amy wright said...

I just read this to Jay and watched him shake his head back and forth with his mouth dropped open. ha
I hope that today was a much better day.

Bridget said...

Wow, Syb... That is something right out of a movie. Nothing like that actually happens in real life!! C: