Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mean Mommy

Dear Nate,

This morning you woke up complaining of a sore throat...so I stayed home with you.

You weren't running fever but I knew something was not right....so I made a doctor's appointment for you.

You began running fever...so I poured medicine and gave it to you.

As we were pulling into the doctor's office, you began throwing up violently all over my car...so I cleaned you up and gave one of Mommy's shirts to you.

You cried while we waited...so I held you.

You threw up all over Mommy's shirt and pants as well as the shirt you were wearing....so I wiped us down as best I could.

You cried as the doctor looked at your throat and declared you had strep...so I had extra hugs and promises of ice cream for you.

You threw up again...I held the towel for you to throw up in and changed you into a hospital gown that the nurse offered us.

You were scared to get a shot....so I held hands with you.

You were anxious as we waited to make sure the shot did not have any negative side effects...so I sang to you.

You noticed blood on your leg...so I rummaged through the drawers in the office until I found another band-aid for you.

You requested chicken nuggets for lunch....so I stopped at McDonalds on the way home (knowing full well you would not eat them...), in attempt to feed you.

You asked if you could watch Mickey Mouse...so I found the remote and put repeated episodes of your favorite show on, for you.

You stated you were not feeling well....so I ran over and cuddled with you.

You threw up in my face....so I removed my glasses, took you to the restroom, and cleaned you  (again).

You wanted to lay down on the couch...so I covered it with old blankets to comfort you.

You wanted to use the blanket Granny gave us for Christmas, because you have deemed it the "special blanket"....against my better judgement, I went and got it, for you (please don't throw up on it).

I went out to the car and gathered all the dirty clothes and your car seat....so I could clean them for you.

You were thirsty...so I made a drink (which you did not touch) for you.

I worked on removing your car seat cover (apparently you need an engineering degree to do this with ease)...and ended up having to scrub it all clean by hand, for you.

I told you I was going to go shower, and you began to cry...so I stopped what I was doing and ran over to  find out what was wrong with you.

You informed me, because I was leaving, I was being a "mean Mommy"....

Son, moments like this are some of the reasons I will beat you when you are older.
(Just kidding readers, please don't call CPS).


...so mean Mommy stopped and held you a little longer, still covered in throw up from head to toe...because I would do anything for you.



I hope you always know you are loved....and when you become an arrogant teenager I will reflect on moments like these and wonder how you could ever hate me or even question my love for you.  Until then I will just enjoy the time I have, even if I stink!  And this mean Mommy will always try her best to be there, for you.

Love,
Your Mean Mommy

2 comments:

amy wright said...

My favorite post I've read in a while. :)

Laura Schultz said...

Love the story! Hope Nate is feeling better know. They are both getting so big.