Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hopes and Dreams for My Kindergartner

Tonight was "meet the teacher night" for my soon-to-be kindergartner (gulp).  We are excited for him to start this educational journey and all that comes with it.  Although I must admit I did get a little catch in my throat and tear in my eye when I went to shake her hand.  Can he really be ready for this?   Am I really ready for this????  

His assigned teacher has been teaching for 31 years and has the reputation to be loving but stern. Sounds exactly like what he will need.  He also knows another one of the kids that will be in his class from church, so we are pretty excited (and a little nervous for her) that they will be together!



To My Almost Kindergartner....

In a little over a week you officially become a "school-ager".  Knowing I am not like
normal parents, here is my personal wishlist for you for the upcoming year:

I hope you are not picked first for a team, that you feel left out at times, and that other kids occasionally make fun of you- because I want you to learn compassion for others and I want you to know how to bounce back from rejection.

I hope that you don't ace every assignment that you are given and that you struggle to complete tasks - so you will learn endurance and will know the satisfaction of looking back at a completed assignment knowing you worked hard and did your best.

I hope you don't always make the best grades in the class, that you will confidently blurt out incorrect answers, and that you will make careless mistakes so that you will realize that failure is sometimes part of  the learning process and that you must be a good listener and pay attention in order to succeed.

I hope you get caught in the act when doing something wrong, that you will be held accountable, and that you suffer consequences - so that you will learn the importance of an apology, how to take responsibility for your own actions, and you will further develop integrity and character.

I hope you will that you will color outside the lines from time to time, that you will get messy when painting, and that you will let your imagination run wild - so that you will learn to be expressive and know the joy of being creative.

I hope you are not the most popular kid, that you will not follow the crowd, and that you don't worry about what other kids may think of you - so that you will embrace your individuality, develop real (not superficial) friendships and so that you will be able to stand up for what you believe in, even if it goes against what the popular kids think/say/do.

Most of all, I hope you will always know that no matter what your grades are, whether or not you win awards, or participate in activities we will always be proud of you!  You may not be the fastest kid on the playground or the smartest kid in your class, but that will never change our love for you.  You are one amazing kid and every single day we are proud of the boy that you are and the man that you will become.  We love watching you grow up. We love your sensitive side, your silly side, and the side that is all BOY.  We are blessed and honored to be your parents and we are excited that you are ready to begin this educational journey.

Congratulations on becoming a "school-ager".
We love you.
Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

kinder teacher said...

this is very special! I hope to be a great factor in helping him to learn to be an independent thinker and to achieve beyond his goals! Very blessed!
Ms. Felio