Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The awkward 2 month check up (9 weeks)

And speaking of Band Aids......Marissa had her 2 month check up and her shots today. It is sad that as a parent you spend time trying to protect her from getting hurt, then you allow someone to purposefully hurt her with those mean shots...and she sure let Mommy know about her serious displeasure with the episode by being fussy most of the night.  Poor thing.

So here's a funny story about this particular visit (remember the non-stop pooping incident from her first visit?)...Marissa had not eaten when we got to the appointment and was hungry.  Great timing.  Right?  So Mom discreetly begins feeding her in a corner of the waiting room (I never would have been this bold with Nathaniel, but it's the second child, I am even less modest now). I was the only person in the area and was appropriately covered.  When lo-and-behold they immediately call us back.  So Marissa is SCREAMING through the weigh-in, measurements, etc.  We finally get into a room and Mommy proceeds to finish feeding the baby.  Now, please note that I am very familiar with her pediatrician, she has 2 kids about the same age as my kids and is a huge proponent of breast feeding so I really did not think it was a big deal to feed Marissa in the exam room.  I was covered, but not quite as well as I was in the waiting room.....when much to my surprise, an INTERN doctor steps into the room without so much as a courtesy knock.  This is a young, single, MALE...which would have been awkward enough....except it also happened to be the youngest child of MY BOSS...and someone whom I know quite well.  So there I am...boob hanging out...and of course trying to play it cool....cuz' well, that's how I roll.  I quickly cover my self, scold the sweet man for not knocking and try to laugh it off....all the while thinking Brian may or may not have just seen my boob.  A-W-K-W-A-R-D!!!  This is another great moment where my life could completely be a sitcom!

Anyway, back to Marissa...she is doing great!  She is growing like a weed and now weighs 11.46 pounds and is 22 and 3/4 inches long.  This puts her at the 50% for height and weight.  She continues to be at 75% for her head circumference.   She is on target with all her milestones and appears to be doing great....Yes, I heard all this as they were telling me....but could only think, my boss' son just saw my boob!!!...Good thing they wrote it down.  LOL.  They were very impressed with her holding her head up when placed on her stomach and said she was at a 4 month level.  That's what you get when both of your parents are therapists (just kidding, we probably do not do as much tummy time as we should)!

Each week she continues to become more and more alert.  She is interacting and cooing more now and in the past few days, she has discovered her tongue and likes to make the little motor sound.  In the very few moments where she was not fussy last night I happened to capture some of her "talking".  Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The cooing is SOOOO precious!!! And I'm just glad to not be the only mom to get crazy looks at the pediatrician's office now ;)

Jenn said...

Oh Nicci-Dearist I'm laughing at this moment of Sybil's, but not nearly as hard as the "birthing position." I think I'm going to give up my career in the hospital and head to the pedi's offices. There seems to be MUCH more entertainment there! LOL!!