Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mom's Birthday Ramblings

Tuedsay was my birthday.  I love birthdays, I love to celebrate with friends and to do fun things together but I always feel a little awkward about my own birthday.  I don't know why.  I am not one to get caught up about my age.  In fact, I don't think I said my age correctly once this whole last year....I kept telling everyone I was 32 when they would ask - and my dear, sweet hubs was always quick to point out I was 33.  And now here I sit at 34.  Hummm...maybe this year it will sink in.  Who knows?  For some reason I am actually stuck at thinking I am 28.  And I have no idea why. Anyway I digress.....analyze that for what you may.

I have had some pretty significant birthdays.  My 16th my parents gave me a car and a suitcase (tell me that was not a hint!).  My 21st my roommate threw a huge surprise party in our little bitty college apartment and crammed about 30 people in my bedroom where my twin bed literally took up half the space....and I did not take hint after hint to go into my bedroom so there sat 30 people stuck in that room like sardines in a can for over 30 minutes!!!  There was also the year Amanda gave me a watermelon with my name painted on it....ahhh, yes I have been blessed with some pretty memorable ones.  This year will also stand out in my mind.  Thanks to the magic of facebook I had over 118 birthday greetings - and over 50 of them were pictures of people's FEET.  Now if you know me very well, you probably know I am not a fan of feet so this was actually humorous and disgusting at the same time.  Certainly a very unique gift from Amanda- and I never thought she'd be able to top the randomness of the watermelon.  I sure to love that girl! 

The day in and of itself was pretty great. My department had breakfast for me.  There was a spontaneous birthday lunch outing and then I got home to a sparkling clean house and we were off for a birthday picnic at a local park.  It was pretty much perfect - until I got a stomach bug later that night.  But most significant moments in my life are followed by a little upchuck (ie. my wedding).  So here area some pics from the park:





And today tooth #5 has arrived (upper left)...
I am thankful for another year, my precious family, my hilarious friends and all the memories of the past 34 years.  See there? I am already getting it right :)


No comments: